Ride to Work

Monday, April 27, 2015

MG Replacement Hubcaps - Part II

"New" hubcaps on Montse
Last Friday I got the hubcaps I bought from one of the guys at the TDr Forum.  They are in great shape, there is some surface rust on the backside but the fronts look great.  The surface rust on the back is nothing that a little Naval Jelly won't get rid off and with just a little work they will be perfect.

However, I still like the originals that came with the car better.  They have a painted black background, behind the wires, that makes them stand out quite a bit more than these "new" ones.  So keeping that in mind, I spend some time with the one that had fallen off.  I clamped it down to my work bench and took a screwdriver and rubber mallet to it until the clips were all forced back in place and it was usable again.  Not sure what I'm doing next.  The old hubcaps need some cleaning and polishing but I hadn't wanted to spend the time doing that if I was going to replace them.  Now I may not replace them at all.  I will keep the new ones but I may go back to the old ones once I clean them up or I may go the whole other route and get the smooth VW hubcaps and attach the MG emblem (part number 200-277) from Moss Motors to the middle.  What an embarrassment of riches!

"New" hubcap

Old hubcap

Old hubcap clip after "treatment"



No comments:

Post a Comment