Ride to Work

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Gizmo Test Ride on Easter Sunday

Bike Grip Gizmo
This morning I installed this Sharper Image Bike Grip gizmo I got to mount my cell so I can have GPS on the Bullet when I ride.  I don't have anyway to power a phone but if I have a fully charged phone at least I can find my way back should I ever need to.

The gizmo was easy enough to install, requiring no tools and going on without any difficulties.  I mounted my old FTC phone on it just in case it didn't work as advertised.  However, the thing held without any problems.

To test it I took a short ride on the Goshen-Sugartown-Paoli Pike- Sugartown- Church Rd loop.  I left the house shortly before noon with really good weather and temp.  No need to layer up today, just a sweatshirt and leather jacket and that was enough.

On the run up Goshen, right before Providence, I saw a turquoise and white Nash Metropolitan going the opposite direction on Goshen.  Right after crossing Providence I also so a Model A going in the same direction as the Metropolitan.  The guy in the Metropolitan returned the wave, the guy in the Model A either did not see it or just blew me off.  He looked as old as his car so he probably didn't see it.

The other goal on this ride was to see what the top is with the Power Commander so on the turn to Sugartown I took advantage of the straightaway and let her rip.  I got a little over 75 mph but did not quite make 80.  The wind was still pretty strong today, not as much as Friday, but strong enough that I was getting buffeted around on that straightaway and it felt like the Bullet was going over.

The other straightaway on Sugartown is on the other side of 252 by Agincourt Farm and I let her rip again there.  This time I got pretty close to 80 mph.  The speedo was probably reading 78 or 79 mph but I was running out of road and I had to back off.   Nice to know it can get that fast.

After that I past the turn off to Church and continued on to Fairfield Rd for the loop on Waterloo to Church.  Fairfield road is showing some new patches so it's good to know that the crews have begun filling in the potholes.

The gizmo held up and did not drop the HTC, so that's a success.  The Bullet almost made 80 mph on the speedo (keeping in mind that the speedo is ambitious) and that's another success.  Great ride on a true spring day, the wind was a little harsh but not uncomfortable.  When I left the odo read 2771.2 and on the return it read 2790.4, a little over 19 miles on an easy ride.

The classic car tally is now one MGA, one 1950s Jag, one Nash Metropolitan, and one Ford Model A.


19 miles with potholes and still hanging on!

Head on view.

Side view.

With the iPhone.

iPhone side view.

No comments:

Post a Comment