Ride to Work

Friday, April 17, 2015

MG Replacement Hubcaps - Part I

This week I got the replacement hubcaps I ordered from MG Magic to replace the originals because of the one I lost.  They are ABS so I wasn't too thrilled with them but I could not find original replacement made of metal.  I ordered the hubcaps and the spacers I needed to mount them.  I got two sets of spacers just in case one got lost.

They went on easily enough, as could be expected, and they didn't look too bad despite not being metal.

The issue with the hubcaps arose yesterday when my wife and I took and afternoon ride on the MG.  Despite the fact that the hubcaps mounted on solidly enough, they made a dreadful racket going down the road.  The things are constructed in two pieces that are attached to each other via a rivet and, it seems, that the pressure from the center hub of the VW wheel causes the two sections to separate and rattle against each other when moving.  We had to cut our ride short and come home because I was afraid the things were going to come apart on the road.

I am pretty sure I'm not keeping these things but I need a replacement.  Not knowing what to do, I posted on the MG TD replica forum asking for help.  Some of the guys answered up right away with some pretty good solutions involving getting regular smooth VW hubcaps and attaching an MG emblem (part number 200-277) from Moss Motors to the middle.  I actually really liked this solution and I might do that in the future but I got an even better answer from one of the guys.  It seems that he has a car just like mine and when he bought it, last October, it had the same kind of hubcaps that I have.  He made a set with the MG emblem and he offered to sell me his original set of 5 for $100.  I sent him the money today and I hope to have the new (to me) hubcaps soon.  I definitely post some pics when I get them.

ABS Hubcap

Spacer

Spacer on rear wheel.  Only need to mount spacers on the rear.

On the car.
On the car.

VW hubcaps with MG emblems from Moss Motors


  

No comments:

Post a Comment