Ride to Work

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter Sunday MG 1/3 Dragon

Chadds Ford Histerical Society Building
After I got home from my short Bullet ride and Gizmo Test the weather was too good to waste so my wife and I went out for a spin on the MG.

Our plan was to head out towards Hank's Place on the corner of Creek Road (100) and Route 1, in Chadds Ford, and have a little Easter Brunch there.  we got rolling at about 13:30 and headed up Goshen towards Garret Mill Road.  At about the same place I saw the Nash Metropolitan earlier, I saw a Fiat Spyder with the top down barreling the other way.  It was nondescript grey/baby blue.

Just before we got to the intersection of Goshen and Grubbs Mill Road, we hit a pothole that sent the front passenger hub cab flying.  I pulled over to the side just past Grubbs Mill by the llama farm and went back to retrieve it.  The guy that lives in the old school house on the other side of the road got to it before I did and he brought it over.  I tried to put it back but the some of the metal ring that forms the attachment points had separated from the hubcap and I couldn't get it back in place.  A guy in a convertible actually slowed down to ask if we needed help but I told them no and were on our way with the broken hubcap sitting in the back.

The next mishap occurred shortly before getting to Garrett Mill Rd when a guy going hell for leather in a Bimmer crossed over the double yellows and came straight at us to avoid a pothole.  We managed to miss each other, for which I'm glad because if we hadn't I would have been dead now.  That blew my "wa" a little so I continued past Garret Mill Rd for the turn at Dutton Mill Rd and a change of plan.  Instead of going on to Hank's we decided to go to the West Chester Diner which was a good decision because it turned out that Hank's was closed for Easter Sunday.

As we were headed to the diner on the West Chester Pike, a group of guys on Harleys pulled up next to us at a light and were asking all about the car.  I could have stayed on Goshen/Stasburg as the diner is past where Starsburg runs onto the Pike.  The food at the diner was good but nothing especial.

After brunch, we headed back down the Pike to 352 and 926 to get to Creek Road and the beginning of the Dragon.  Somewhere on 926, probably near Crebilly Farm, we saw a black 1940s American Sedan.  I think it was a Plymouth but I can swear to that.  What a gorgeous car!

My wife, waving like Brenda.
We stopped at the Chadds Ford Historical Society building for a couple of shots and continued  across Route 1 to the gas station to fill up.   I had put 100 miles on since the last tank and although I felt I did not need the gas it would be safer to have it.  The tank is still leaking from the top of the fill spout so that needs to be addressed.  While filling up, another Model A passed northbound on 1 and honk at us.  I was slow on the uptake and did not honk back.

Continued on 100 until we reached Kirk Road which is about one third on the way on the loop.  We took a left on Kirk to check out Montchanin Village which turnout to be much of nothing.  After that we headed back the way we came.

The twists and turns on this portion of the loop are great and it was much fun to push the MG a little.  However, the gas spillage from the top of the spout was really happening and the smell was making me nauseous.   Despite all that, it was a great run an much fun.

When we reached the Pike on 926 there was a guy on a Harley in front of us with his young daughter or granddaughter on the pillion.  She turn around to look and us and he did as well.  I gave him the thumbs up and he returned it.  We followed them down Garret Mill to Goshen and just past Providence, where they turned around.  We gave each other the wave as we crossed paths.  The really seemed to be enjoying their ride, especially the little girl who get spreading her arms out as if she were flying.  My wife and I enjoyed her delight in her ride almost as much as she seemed to.

We followed Goshen home and got back at around 15:30.  What a great way to spend an Easter Sunday afternoon.

The classic car tally is now two Ford Model As, one MGA, one 1950s Jag, one Nash Metropolitan, and one 1940s American Sedan.

I've ordered a set of replacement hubcaps from MG Magic which I hope will be here soon.  For a second I thought about the real wire wheels but at $800 plus whatever the adapters would cost I think I can pass on them for now.

Chadds Ford Histerical Society

Chadds Ford Histerical Society

No comments:

Post a Comment