Ride to Work

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Antique Plates (Part I) & The Paper Mill House

Paper Mill House, St. Davids Road

Yesterday Charlene and I took a little drive during lunch just because we could.  We didn't have a lot of time so we just went to the Wawa's on 352 and 3 to get a frozen mocha drink.  We took the regular loop up Goshen/Strasburg and headed back the same way.  We had a little extra time so we continued on to First Class Auto Tag Service to see if we could get an antique plate for the MG.  To get to First Class we continued on Goshen to Malin and then took Bryn Mawr Rd to Sproul following that all the way to West Chester Pike.

I've been checking the PennDOT site for the requirements for antique plates and have found them just a little confusing so I called the lady at First Class and she said all I needed was the title, proof of insurance, and my driver's license.  So armed with all that stuff, we stopped to see her.  Coincidentally, she also remembered having registered the car last year when we first got it.  She made copies of my driver's license and proof of insurance and took the original title giving me a copy for my records.  According to her, PennDOT will mail me the new title in about 10 days.  She will get the new plate from PennDOT and call me to come pick it up when she has it.  PennDOT charged me $75 for the plate, $50 for the registration, and Fist Class took $25 for their time and trouble.  If this works out, I will be a happy camper.  With an antique plate I won't need to do a yearly inspection or registration.  I plan to have yearly safety checks but it's nice to know that some of the paper work requirements will be cut out.

Paper Mill House and bridge over Darby Creek
The transaction took a lot less time than I'd imagined so we still had a little time for a small loop.  We headed back on Sproul to Godfrey and Darby Paoli.  At Darby Paoli and Saw Mill Rd we saw what appeared to be an orange McLaren going in the opposite direction on Darby Paoli.  We continued to St. Davids and stopped at the Paper Mill House to take some shots. I've ridden by the Paper Mill House countless times on the Bullet but I've never pulled in because the parking lot is loose gravel and I just don't like that.  From there we took a little loop to the end of Paper Mill Rd and back and then just headed up St. Davids to Newtown Street Rd, Waterloo, and Church for a complete loop back home with enough time to spare.

A short ride but much fun and I am hopeful that it will lead to antique plates on the MG.

The exotic tally stands at 16 Teslas, 15 Ferraris, 11 Maseratis, 5 Bentleys, 4 McLarens, 3 Cobras, 2 Austin-Healeys, 2 Lambos, 2 Unknowns,1 Rolls Royce, and 1 DeLorean.



No comments:

Post a Comment