Ride to Work

Friday, July 25, 2014

The Chester County Dragon

Creek Rd. before Chadds Ford
The Dragon is done!  This is the continuation and conclusion of last Friday's ride which had to be aborted mid range because I waited to long to get on the road.  Today, taking advantage of Father Peter's Friday policies, I headed out as soon as I got home from work at about 12:35.

The ride began on the Goshen Loop but instead of turning at Providence or Delchester, I continued on to Garret Mill Rd avoiding the Pike completely.  Goshen is very torn up before the 252 intersection with a very uneven pavement.  The road work goes on beyond 252 for about 500 miles and it looks like the are widening that area of the road to allow for traffic from the new subdivision on 252 and Goshen.

Shortly after crossing Goshen I saw an old M-151, World War II style Jeep, with desert paint, top and windshield down going in the opposite direction.  Not an exotic but very cool none the less.

The run up 926 past the Pike was very smooth and clear.  I caught the red at the intersection with 202 and while waiting for the change, a guy in the left turn lane rolled down his window to ask me about the Bullet.  He knew what it was and that it was one of the new ones but he was very excited to talk about it.  I still enjoy those moments when someone asks.

Once on Creek Rd the twists and turns began in earnest.  The first part, out to Smiths Bridge Rd in Delaware was a lot of fun because, knowing what to expect from last Friday's run, I was able to push a little more.  After that part it continues to be a tremendously fun ride, specially after Kirk Rd turns into 82 and all the way up on that until Kennett Square.  Lots of twists, hill, great scenery, and great riding.  82 makes a hard left right after Hoopes Reservoir that is not marked and I almost missed that but was able to save it at the last second without getting lost.

On 926, before getting to 52, there is a nice flat stretch where I gave it a go and got going at 70 mph.  Still in the break-in so I didn't push beyond that.  That part of the ride is flatter but it picks up again after 52 for another fun part.

Crossing the pike at 926, I noticed a white exotic (addendum: I now think this was a McLaren) on the left turn lane to Garret Mill.  Could not tell what it was and I pulled into a drive way by the red barn to see if I could catch a picture of it.  Unfortunately, it blew by before I could get the camera ready.  Instead, got a nice shot of the barn and the farm where I stopped.  After that I just followed the reversed Goshen loop back home.

The Red Barn
Turtle Rock Farm
The Bullet

Turtle Rock Farm

While I am sure the Chester County Dragon pales in comparison with the Tail of the Dragon it is a fun and beautiful ride.  For someone with little experience, like me, it is challenging enough to keep you on your toes.  I don't know how many Father Peter Friday's we have left in the summer but I plan on using all of them on this ride.

With a total of 63 miles and a little over two hours of saddle time this ride is the longest the Bullet has made.  At the end of the ride the odo clocked 1368.4.

The exotic car tally stands at 2 Ferraris, 1 Lambo, 1 Maserati, and 1 McLaren.


1305.2 at 12:37
1368.4 at 14:40

No comments:

Post a Comment