Ride to Work

Friday, July 4, 2014

Brandywine Battlefield Ride

This morning the sky was still severely cloudy and the threat of rain and storms from Hurricane Arthur where still hanging in the air so any riding had to be postponed for better weather.  While it rained a little during the morning, by one o'clock the clouds were beginning to break up and the sun was beginning to poke out from behind them.  I made the decision that there might not be a better time so I headed out for a ride.

I didn't have a set flight plan when I left but while I debated going out Church I went up Goshen instead.  At Providence Road I made a hard left towards the West Chester Pike, I hadn't been on this run in a while and I enjoyed the nice easy turns and rolling hills.  At the Pike I made a right turn following it 926 where I took a left on that road.

This was my first time on 926 on a bike.  The portion between the Pike and 352 has some nice tight turns and a couple of good hills.  After 352, the road runs to some wooded areas and some developed areas but it is mostly straight if not necessarily flat.  I continued on 926 until I saw the first road sign for the Battle of Brandywine just past Birmingham Road.  I took the first left turn into a no outlet subdivision right after Birmingham Rd and used that as a turn around.

I thought about taking a left on 352 to hook up with Strasburg Road on the other side of the Pike but since the best part of 926 is past 352, I decided to stay on that to link up with the Pike.  The right exit from 926 to the Pike is a short off ramp with a stop that leads you to a blind merge onto the Pike.  I did not like that blind merge so, in the future, I may exit 926 by turning left on the Pike.

From the Pike, I took a left on Delchester Rd to reach Goshen and from there home.  However, when I got to the 252 interception I made a hard left and followed that to Sugartown to Church for the ride home.  I just felt like adding a couple of extra miles to the run.

Overall, a real nice run.  Glad to have begun exploring 926 as this will give access to the Baltimore Pike for runs into Maryland and to the Chester County Dragon that I plan on running soon.  No rain, no issues, just a fun run.  At the end of the run the odo clocked 986.2 miles for a total of 42.7 miles on this ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment