Ride to Work

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Inver House and Ellis Preserve

This last week we had our great-niece visiting from Louisiana so there was not a lot of opportunities for motorcycle riding.  I did, however, get in a couple of short rides on July 12th.  Having received in the mail a Canon S100 which I picked up on ebay, I was looking forward to trying the camera so I took a short ride in the morning more as an excuse to take a couple of pictures than anything else.

I headed towards Darby-Paoli Road to take a picture of the old gate that is just of the road.  My assumption was that this gate was part of the entrance to the old Ardrossan estate that was left as a vestige when that part of the estate was subdivided.  This assumption was completely wrong.  I had seen the gate many a time before, but I had never stopped to take a closer look.  On the top of each pillar under the lions, one can see very clearly the inscription "Inver House".   It turns out that Inver House was built in 1936 on the place of Laurento, another Main Line mansion.  Nothing remains of it now except for the gate and driveway leading nowhere.

 After the I continued on Darby-Paoli to a left on St. Davids, passed the roundabout and the under pass of 252 for another left onto 252.  From there I took a right on Goshen and followed that to Grubbs Mill Road where the llama farm is.  I took Grubbs Mill there and followed it for awhile, this was the first time I have been on this road.  Grubbs Mill is a true country lane with plenty of rolling hills, twists, and no dividing marks.  It crosses over Crum Creek on a single lane bridge and then comes to fork with White Horse Lane.  I followed White Horse which also crosses Crum Creek again and runs alongside the creek in a very picturesque manner.  Lots of old barns and farm houses but not much room to pull over and take pictures.  White Horse forks with Davis Rd but I followed White Horse to a right at South Valley Road which continued to merge with Grubbs Mill eventually running into 252 where I took a right.  I followed 252 to the new light at Sawmill and took that home after doing a neighborhood loop through that subdivision.

When I left the house the odo read 1076 and on return it clocked 1093.

Later that day, I took a ride over to Ellis Preserve to take some pictures of my great-niece on the Bullet and from there we rode to Honeygrow, in Radnor, for dinner.  When we returned, the sun had already gone down and we were riding in the dark.  This is the first time I've ridden the Bullet after dark and I was glad to see that, despite some things I've read on the internet, the stock headlights worked appropriately.





No comments:

Post a Comment