Ride to Work

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Stuck Behind Grandpa Florida

Yesterday morning's ride was an extended version of the usual Goshen/Strasburg run.  The ride began with a traffic block at Goshen and 252 to let a foot race cross Goshen that should have been an indicator of things to come.  Once past the road block, the outbound portion on Goshen/Strasburg was a great ride, not much traffic and the opportunity to open her up a little.  On the way back I took Ellis Lane to the Paoli Pike to see if the traffic pattern in the Pike was different from the previous day's ride.  Not much changed on that traffic pattern but the worst part had to be making the acquaintance of Grandpa Florida.

Somewhere between 352 and Sugartown Rd I fell in behind a Camry with Florida plates being driven by an old man (I am an old man and a grandpa but this guy really took those roles to heart) on a Saturday drive with his wife.  I'll call him Grandpa Florida or GF for short.  GF is one of the those people of the school of driving 10 miles under the limit, no matter what.  That is bad enough but to add insult to injury he is also one of those people that has to slow down for every turn on the road and come to a complete stop at every opportunity.  He was driving me insane besides driving like an idiot.  To make it even worse, I had a certified Pennsylvania Yahoo directly behind me who felt it his duty, nay, his divine calling, to lay on the horn at every indiscretion committed by GF.  GF must have picked up a copy of my flight plan somewhere because he anticipated every turn and kept in front of me from the pick up point to Devon Rd, Darby Rd, and into Sugartown Rd past 252.  If I had been in a steel cage I would have forced my way on left despite the double yellows that plagued the route (I confess to being an aggressive driver, I've driven in California, Northern Virginia, Spain, Italy, and Sicily (which I consider a distinct driving experience from Italy on the level of aggression and daring) so I believe in pushing the envelope) but with the heavy oncoming traffic I could not find a comfortable window.  Finally at Sugartown, before the first dog leg, I was able to see a clearing ahead and cross the double yellow to leave GF and the certified Pennsylvania Yahoo to their own devices.

The rest of the ride was inconsequential, headed down Sugartown to Valley Forge to South Devon to link up with Conestoga because I needed to stop by my office.  Didn't take my regular commute route on the return from the office but went to Ithan Rd to Conestoga and then back.

Beautiful day for a ride and if it hadn't been for the aggravation of clueless drivers it would have been perfect.  The lesson learned is to avoid the Paoli Pike on pleasure rides because it doesn't seem to fit that profile.  At the end of this ride the odo read 418 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment