Ride to Work

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Christmas Day

Ashbridge Preserve
Christmas brought the first day in a little over a week without either rain or low temps so it was a perfect reason for a short ride on the Bullet.  The absence of low temps is relative, it was probably between 49 and 50 degrees at around 11 o'clock and since we had a Christmas commitment with friends in the afternoon, I could wait for it to get warmer so I doubled up, layered up, and shuffled to the door.

Because of the temps, I had a short flight plan in mind that consisted on riding out Goshen as long as it wasn't uncomfortable and turn around at the point that my hands started to feel the cold.  The ultimate goal was to make it to the Wawa on 352 and 3 to gas up if possible but if not, not.

I headed to Goshen the long way via Malin, to avoid the steel plate on Earles Lane and continued out.  The sky was blue and clear and, because of the layering effect of my riding attire, the cold was not really an issue.  There wasn't much traffic out but there was a pickup truck in front of me most of the way and the road was still a little damp from the rain the night before so I did not feel the need to go very fast.  I got to the Wawa without much problem from the cold, although my hands could feel it, and gassed up.

Clock still on DST!
I left the house with 2600.3 miles on the odo, almost about 90 miles since the last fill-up and when I got to the pumps the odo read 2611.5.  The tank took 1.588 gallons which set me back for $4.89, gas prices are getting better.  Figuring 98 miles since the last fill-up the mileage stands at 61,71 mpg.  I need a little more data but this might be due to the new air filter.  There was another hardy soul and his girl on a Harley at the gas station.  I guess I'm not the only nut case waiting for any excuse to get the bike out.

By the time I got the Wawa the sky had completely overcast but the temps had not drop at all.   Although I had considered going back by way of the 352/926 loop the look of the sky made me change my mind and stick to the original flight plan of a turnaround on Strasburg/Goshen.

On the way back I stopped at Ashbridge Preserve on Strasburg Road for some pics of the bullet.  I figure, no pics, no ride.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, except that I took the DelChester turn a little fast and had to swing really wide to avoid trouble.  It's funny how easy that can happen but not funny if you kiss pavement.  In the end, no harm, no foul and it was a very enjoyable morning ride of just a little over 20 miles.

I took the engine guard off last week before taking the Bullet to work on one of the good weather mornings.  I have the new muffler and Power Commander from NfieldGear but haven't have the time for installation.  The installation the Power Commander requires the removal of the gas tank, so I've asked the husband of one of my co-workers to help me out with that because I don't trust myself not to screw it up so I have to wait on his schedule.

Ashbridge Preserve

Ashbridge Preserve

Ashbridge Preserve

Ashbridge Preserve



No comments:

Post a Comment